Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A child is born

We returned from our vacation at the end of July, and proceeded to wait out the next few weeks until our little guy arrived. Dave went back to work and I 'nested' at home.
On Tuesday Aug. 18th we were at our scheduled dr's appointment when he asked us when we wanted to have the baby - on Thursday or Friday?!?! A few phone calls later, lining up the anesthesiologist, operating room, etc. and we were set for Thursday. Ah, the beauty of a planned C-section. The next two nights at home were interesting, realising it was probably the last time (for a long time anyway) that it would be just the two of us. Last minute packing was done, family and friends notified, our ride to the hospital organized, and we were as ready as we were ever going to be.
The morning of Thursday Aug. 20th we left home around 7.30am and were in our hospital room by about 8.15am. My doctor came by around 9am and then I was prepped and we 'got the show on the road'. I had a lovely female anesthesiologist who took her time finding the right spot for the epidural and made me feel at ease during the procedure. Once that was done and I was numb/ready, the fun began. This was my first ever experience on the operating table and it is a weird sensation, being awake and knowing what is going on, but not being able to feel anything. The time went by very fast and before I knew it I had my first look at, and hold of, my son - Ezekiel. While I was being stitched up, Zeke was taken to the nursery and his anxious father. Soon afterwards we all met up in my room.

First day of life. Ezekiel David Wlodarski - born August 20, 2009
The one thing I was unprepared for in this whole experience was the next morning and feeling like I had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson - and lost! Thank God for pain meds. The hospital staff were good, but the problem with doing this in a foreign country is, of course, the language barrier. Some staff had a little English, but most had none. Somehow though we muddled through. I am very thankful that is was an uncomplicated birth. By Saturday we were more than ready to get home, so once my doctor gave us the all clear, we packed our bags, paid our bill and left.
Our doctor, Youssef Simaika, sharing a glass of wine with us after the birth.
It has now been almost 3 weeks and everyday I give thanks for our little boy who is happy and healthy and doing so well.
5 days old.

1 comment:

southseaislandhome said...

Congratulations!! He's beautiful! How're you doing now? Was it an emergency c-section or did you opt to have it anyway?
Love his name. Enjoy these days - they go by soooo fast.
Thinking of you.
Rachel L